Avoiding Motorcycle Accidents
Avoiding motorcycle accidents, as a rider, is not always possible. Sometimes we have no choice but to lay down our bikes in a situation. However, there are instances when we can try to avoid a collision. Here is what you need to know.
Avoiding Motorcycle Accidents | Motorcycle Safety Tips
Hector Longoria is a skilled and experienced Houston motorcycle accident lawyer and can help you get the legal compensation you’re entitled to should you get into an accident. But the best scenario for Texas motorcyclists is to avoid the motorcycle accident in the first place. You can reduce your risk by following the below safety tips:
- Always wear a helmet and other safety equipment, such as a jacket, gloves and protective pants.
- Take a motorcycle safety course.
- Always ride defensively and never assume another driver can see you.
- Ride with your headlight on.
- Ride in the left or right part of your lane. The center of a lane is more likely to have debris or liquids.
- Do not speed.
- Keep a safe distance between you and other vehicles.
- Make sure your motorcycle is in safe operating condition.
- Try to avoid being on the road during inclement weather.
- Only ride a bike you can properly handle.
- Make sure your bike has anti-lock brakes.
- Always be on the lookout for road hazards.
Avoiding Motorcycle Accidents | Common Motorcycle Accident Causes
Motorcycles have the advantage of increased mobility compared to passenger cars and trucks. But this also makes it easier for motorcycle riders to drive in a manner that puts them at increased risk of an accident. For example, it’s easier for a motorcycle to weave in and out of traffic. Other common motorcycle accident causes include:
- Head on collisions.
- Cars or trucks making left-hand turns.
- Lane splitting by the motorcycle.
- Collisions with fixed objects.
- Road hazards, like dead animals, sticks, loose stone, breaks in pavement, uneven pavement and slippery road surfaces.
If you have any questions about avoiding motorcycle accidents, or you have been in one and need knowledgeable legal advice, please call our office today for a free consultation with our Houston motorcycle accident attorney Hector Longoria.