If you are recovering from an accident, this information will help you avoiding motorcycle injury in the future. Please contact our office today to schedule a free consultation with our experienced Houston injury attorneys.
Avoiding Motorcycle Injury | Safety Tips
- Always wear a helmet and other safety equipment, such as a jacket, gloves and protective pants.
- Take a motorcycle safety course.
- Always ride defensively and never assume another driver can see you.
- Ride with your headlight on.
- Ride in the left or right part of your lane. The center of a lane is more likely to have debris or liquids.
- Do not speed.
- Keep a safe distance between you and other vehicles.
- Make sure your motorcycle is in safe operating condition.
- Try to avoid being on the road during inclement weather.
- Only ride a bike you can properly handle.
- Make sure your bike has anti-lock brakes.
- Always be on the lookout for road hazards.
Avoiding Motorcycle Injury | Do I Need to Wear a Helmet?
Not necessarily. Under Texas law, all riders who are less than 21 years of age must wear a helmet. Those who are 21 years of age and older may ride without a helmet, but only if they have either completed a motorcycle safety course or can provide proof of health insurance that will cover injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident.
That being said, whether or not you are wearing a helmet only becomes a factor if you suffer injuries that could have been avoided or reduced if you wore a helmet. If you were legally required to wear a helmet, but did not, then suffer head injuries, it will be very difficult to recover for your head injuries. But you should still be able to recover for other injuries and damages that weren’t related to whether or not you wore a helmet.
If you were not legally required to wear a helmet, chose not to wear one, then suffered head injuries in a motorcycle accident, you can still recover for your head injuries, but you’ll need to show that you would have still suffered head injuries even if you had worn your helmet. But assuming you can do this, any recovery you obtain for your head injuries is still likely to be lower than if you had been wearing a helmet.
If you are suffering from a motorcycle accident injury, and these tips don’t apply to you, you can recover for your damages. Please call our excellent Houston auto accident attorney Hector Longoria for a free consultation and take the first step towards recovering.